YUMMY! This was another Instant Pot success. Find the recipe below!
Instant Pot General Tso Chicken
- 1 pound chicken thighs cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- Red pepper flakes
- Sesame Seeds
- Start by cutting the chicken into 2-3 inch chunks, I tend to leave them a bit larger as the pressure cooker tends to make the chicken very moist and this helps to avoid breaking the chicken pieces.
- Heat up your pressure cooker: press Sauté -> click on the Adjust button -> select More to get the Sauté More function, which means that the food will be sautéed over medium-high heat. Wait for the Instant Pot indicator to read HOT.
- Add the oil to the hot Instant Pot, wait one minute for the oil to heat up and add the chicken. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring a few times. Cook until it just starts to get golden. This step can also be done on the stove if you want, as the instant pot doesn’t really brown the chicken too well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot: ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and water.
- Stir well to combine.
- Close lid, select the Poultry function and adjust the time to 5 minutes.
- Use a 10 minute Natural Release. Turn off the heat. Release the remaining pressure. Open the lid. Gently stir not to crush the chicken.
- Select again the Sauté function. In a small bowl combine the cornstarch with the water, whisk until all combined with no lumps. Add the mixture to the Instant Pot and gently stir to combine. Cook on Sauté function for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. This way you can make the sauce thicker. You can add more if you want to make the sauce even thicker, please note that it thickens as it cools too.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and let the General Tso Chicken stand for 5-7 minutes, the sauce will thicken more.
- Serve over rice with broccoli and garnish with fresh chopped green onions, red pepper flakes and sesame seeds.
Original Recipe Posted by sweetandsavorymeals.com